- Horses are shipped from King Island to Devonport or Devonport to King Island. Ship currently departs Devonport on a Monday and arrives King Island on a Tuesday.
- Bass Island Line does not ship horses from Melbourne.
- Horses are loaded ex-King Island on Tuesday. Customer must have paperwork with them.
- Horses must be booked in advance for loading and unloading purposes.
- Please note if your horse does not sail it will be a week wait until the next scheduled sailing.
- Customers must ring TasPorts on King Island 03 6461 1155 or Tas Cargo services 03 6432 2990 prior to the horse travelling to confirm the ship is taking horses and what time to deliver the horse to the wharf. Horses will only be shipped when the weather conditions are suitable.
- Empty Horse Floats must be at the Grassy wharf before 9 am on Tuesday.
- Customers must supply their own float. Customers who don’t have their own float can contact Tammy Muir, King Island on 0364 621 918.
- Freight is payable for each horse and the float must do a round trip. A refundable bond is payable if shipping an empty float. See charges below. Payment must be made before the horse is shipped and can be Cash or EFTPOS. Cheques will not be accepted.
- A Livestock Declaration must be completed and presented with a con note at the wharf when dropping off horses. The ship will not accept horses without the completed documentation.
- Horses cannot be off water/ feed for more than 24 hours. Actual on-water transit time between ports is approx. 16-17 hours.
- All floats must be clean and free of dirt and weeds as floats can be quarantined by AQIS and incur a cleaning fee before being released.
- They must be in good condition and have a working jockey wheel.
It is important to contact Tas Cargo Services on 03 6432 2990 firstname.lastname@example.org and Book the Empty Float back to King Island. This will not happen automatically.
$361.72 Freight per Horse plus
$195.88 Wharfage - covers Grassy, Devonport, Devonport, Grassy ($48.97 per wharf) includes the empty float return. An infrastructure levy is applied to the length of the float, a 3.5m float will charged $22.96 + GST. Total $557.60 + infrastructure levy ($50.52).
$1,050.18 Empty Horse Float Bond - Freight, two wharfage's + infrastructure levy
Current for the month of July 2022.
S & M Transport Tas & Vic - Steven & Marni Davis: 0408 102 528
Tas Horse Transport, Tas & Vic - Ginetta & Hayley: 03 6496 1777 or 0428 141 419
Bass Straight Horse Transport, Tas & Vic - Vern Poke: 03 6423 6229 or 0428 140 643
Paula Porter, Cranbourne, Vic 0484 607 470
RnV Horse Transport, Vicki Gee, Tas & Vic - Vicki: 0458 782 558